However, back to reality and I must go and drop a couple of pieces of 70% dark chocolate into the venison stew with a couple of pieces of orange rind to finish it off. Candlelit dinner tonight.Totally impressive If I say so myself, but will anyone else? I will let you know.........................
can be with or without wheat, gluten or dairy
(for Dairy free use St. Helen's Farm double whipping cream, it is brilliant but you will need 2 pots and it is by mail order only)
- 75g Doves Farm wheat free,gluten free self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 55g x 70% cocoa powder , plus extra for dusting
- 100g golden caster sugar,plus a little extra Cream Filling
- 300ml double cream
- 50g dark chocolate
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 whole almonds
Extra pot of double or whipping cream for the decoration
- To make the chocolate leaves, melt 50g of the dark chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of water.Paint the shiny side of each bay leaf with a layer of chocolate.Leave to set, then paint over another layer.Set in a cool place,then peel off the chocolate leaves. Paint one side of each almond, leave to set, paint the other side and leave to set.
- Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.Line a 30x40cm swiss roll tin with baking parchment,butter and dust with extra cocoa.Sift the flour,baking powder and cocoa in a bowl.Beat the eggs and caster sugar with an electric mixer until thick,pale and trebled in volume,about 8-10 minutes.Quickly and lightly fold in the flour and mix with a large metal spoon.Scrape into the tin,tipping the tin so the batter is even.Bake for 10-15 minutes or until firm.
- Cool the sponge for a few minutes, turn it out onto fresh baking parchment dusted with caster sugar.Peel off the lining paper and roll up the sponge using the paper underneath.It may crack,but the icing will cover it.Leave it to cool.
- Whisk the cream until soft peaks.Gently unroll the sponge and spread cream out gently.Reroll the roulade as tightly as you can without squashing out the filling.
- Fill a pipping bag with the whipped cream and decorate as much as you fancy!Arrange the chocolate leaves and nuts and dust with extra cacao.